Sunday, October 29, 2006

we shall be joined in holy wedlock for health and illness

Reuters news agency reports on what it calls a new U.S. study. In this study it was shown that depressed people were less depressed after getting married. On the other hand if you are not depressed and got married you might just end up getting depressed – since presumably you might just marry that person that was depressed who got married and is now less depressed and now you are depressed! So now we are all depressed, only one less than the other one who is more, because the one started out happy and the other started out more depressed but is now less……and surely that must mean we are all now happy….or is it that we are all depressed…..or have I got it all wrong!

I never was much good at those trick questions…you know the ones…you run over a field and pick up 6 apples along the way, drop 10 apples further on…climb over 5 fences, and pick up another 12 apples, fall down a hole and misplace 2 apples, then miraculously find a tunnel which leads you to …..well I think you know the type of trick questions I mean!

I am a little depressed we needed a study to tell us this, surely we could have just asked most kids, so maybe I will just have to go and get married, is there any lovely woman out who is happy and is tired of being happy and wants to get married, sorry, I mean depressed, or is it, so we can be depressed together, and therefore happy…well basically happy…….well anyway get in touch……..

(A little depressing) Footnote:

The study was to be presented at the American Sociological Association’s annual meeting and was apparently carried out by a sociology student and an assistant professor of sociology and for this study they researched a 3,066 person sample…..hmmmm…I wonder how many married people there are in the world, how many depressed people, divided by 2 that makes……..sorry, I have gone and lost a couple along the way…I think I had better stop before I get all tied up….. eh! Did I say tied up!......tied up = marriage… or was it depressed……help……..please get in touch……help….!

No comments: